Monday, March 17, 2014

sprng break start off...

I had a great kick off to Spring break last weekend. I went to Dallas! My main mission was to check the nurseries I could find that would possibly have the trees I was looking for, Salix integra 'flamingo' and Corylus avellanus 'Red Dragon' and possibly some small beginner Japanese Maples.
I began Saturday afternoon after lunch in Copell with a friend.  Our first stop was NorthHaven!!
it's just north of north park mall near highway 75, but you have to get there from Hillcrest St.  such a selection!! I got a bunch of Helleborus, some Osteospermums, and salvia.
Next we went downtown to check out a place at the farmer's market called Rubiel's.  I wouldnt' recomend it, pretty much same stuff you'd find at a Lowe's, plus why would i recommend them after I'd emailed to ask if they had the 3 trees I was looking for, and they reply yes we have all of those...
all they had was large sizes of Japanes maples.... no thanks. We did enjoy the excellent barbecue at this nationally recognized barbecue place there, I don't recall the name, but my friend knows the chef so we got to back to the kitchen and try out the succulent pulled pork. MMMMm!!!
Sunday I made 2 more stops, Watson's in Garland. a very nice independent place with great variety of selection. they had the Filbert I wanted but a huge one for $150 so nope, too rich for my blood plus the ganble if it were to die on my while getting settled in here in hot dry summered Oklahoma. I did by a nice artichoke plant and they had lots of little Japanese Maples for $20. got one. On the way back to OKC I stopped at Markwell's in Lewisville jsut off 35E, however it was so cold and windy, I made a rush to just get back in the truck and head on. Although iw as tempted to get a crabapple just beginning to bloom, I'd hate to bring it back since we could have a few freezes yet before spring get here. :)
I include a photo of some plants in the cab of my pickup. and a few pics of peonies just beginning to appear here as things warm up jsut a little.I always enjoy this time of year getting to walk around and see what plants are emerging, bulbs shooting up and especially the Peonies so pink/red and daily reaching up a little taller....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I aim to live a life serving others. I enjoy doing the random unusual thing versus the ordinary. I love my family. I love my job. I continue to dream of marriage and children, living in a cabin in the woods, travel, writing or educational t.v., teaching in another country again. to continue learning to deny self

feed the fish with a click...