Wednesday, April 16, 2014

blood moon and late freeze, phooey!


before we had our last freeze warning Monday night, I went out and took some photos of things in case everything got ruined of sorts.  Good news is that the garden is doing just fine now, the cold came and passes with dipping just below freezing. I of course used every sheet and blanket and overturned bucket or flowerpot possible to cover stuff out in the yard.  Above are some pictures of Snowdrops which I got extra with some bulb orders.  And the second photo is 'Blue Shadow' fothergilla.  This is its 2nd springs in my yard; last spring I had no blooms because the summer before had extreme drought which threw it into dormancy and then the late summer rains made it try and bloom etc etc. so no blooms last spring. anyway, how pretty they are this year! only a few but it's such a little starter shrub. I look forward to it getting established and getting some great fall color and more blooms in spring. The photo below shows the north bed, some red tulips and a purple that survived last summer and came back this spring. I hadn't planted any new tulip this year.  I BOUGHT some new tulips last fall but the paper sack full of them is lost still somewhere in the back room of the house.....oops. you can see some white daffodils in the background, purple loropetalum on the side of the house. and to the right a really nice clump of clusiana tulips which come back better and better each year.

below is a photo of my smoke tree, it's buds were frozen out last year and this year it grew out so nicely, early, but i covered it up really well Monday night and I think all the blooms will make their smoky opening flowers this year. You can see peonies also in the photo. I hope the lack of rain won't keep them from fully blooming out..  and the last photo, the moon eclipse. Yes i got up around 2:30 and went outside just to see.  i was actually a little early and went back inside and laid down on the floor by an open window that I could open my eyes and stare up out of with the moon in view.  eventually I got to see the eclipse happen and by the time I got outside it already began to pass over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I aim to live a life serving others. I enjoy doing the random unusual thing versus the ordinary. I love my family. I love my job. I continue to dream of marriage and children, living in a cabin in the woods, travel, writing or educational t.v., teaching in another country again. to continue learning to deny self

feed the fish with a click...